Online shopping is convenient, especially when you’re buying essential products like shampoo, conditioner and laundry detergent. But when you’re spending big money, you have to be more careful about what you buy.
There are pros and cons to shopping for used cars online. You get the convenience of shopping at home (which is especially helpful during a pandemic!) and comparing different features and prices. But, you don’t have a salesperson or test drive to lead the way.
As you consider shopping for a used car online, here are the advantages and disadvantages to be aware of. Fortunately, you can make your online car shopping experience positive by being an informed consumer.
Advantages of Online Car Shopping
Many people have great experiences with online car shopping, but it’s important to do your homework. Here are some of the biggest benefits to expect when you buy a used car from the internet:
- No need to work with a car salesman or haggle for prices
- Compare hundreds of vehicles at once – you’re not limited to what’s on the car lot
- No risk of being upsold like you could at a dealership
- Enjoy a low-stress shopping experience from your home
- Research the vehicles on your list
- Take your time making a decision – you won’t face any pressure
- Apply for financing online through different carriers
Disadvantages of Shopping for Cars Online
Even though browsing used cars online is convenient and practical, there are some things to be aware of:
- Unable to test drive the vehicle (at least at the moment)
- Buying a repossession means you’re buying “as-is,” so you won’t have protection if something goes wrong
- No options for leasing the vehicle
- If the car is in a different state, it will be harder to see
Why More People are Buying their Cars Online
Many people feel taken advantage of when they visit a dealership, and this pressure can lead to buyer’s remorse. Shopping from home is convenient and makes sense for people who don’t like the high-stress environment of a dealership.
When you shop RepoFinder’s inventory, you can view the vehicles that fit your wants and needs, explore their condition and make an offer. You don’t have to leave home to do this, and you can enjoy a user-friendly platform that allows you to work directly with the banks and credit unions. Because it’s just you and the seller, you have the power to negotiate an even lower price.
We always recommend doing an inspection before signing anything. Bring along someone who knows cars so that you can get an objective opinion. Otherwise, buying a used car online can be a great experience that allows you to purchase a vehicle you won’t regret later on!